Brownies have long been a favourite here at rawCo HQ so testing a gluten-free brownie recipe was never going to be a hardship. This is recipe is quick and easy using only a handful of ingredients. The cashew frosting is ofcourse optional but comes highly recommended, it tastes amazing with the brownie. You can also get creative with extra toppings, we used crushed cashews and goji berries but there are endless possibilities.
If you have used coconut flour in your baking before you will know it is very absorbent which typically results in quite a dense texture, this is perfect for brownies.
For the brownies;
- 50 grams of coconut flour
- 1/2 cup of cacao powder
- 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup of either raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract [optional]
For the frosting;
- 1/2 cup of cashew butter. Other nut butters could be used but I have only made the recipe with cashew butter for a smooth frosting.
- 1/4 cup of cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of full fat coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 300F / 150C and lightly grease a brownie tin with coconut oil.
- Mix together the coconut flour, cacao powder, melted coconut oil, eggs, honey / maple syrup & vanilla extract. This can be done by hand or with an electric mixer. Make sure the ingredients are well mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the brownie tin.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes before removing from the brownie tin.
- Allow to cool completely before the frosting is applied.
- Now to make the frosting. Add all the ingredients to the bowl of the food processor and blend until smooth & creamy. This can also be done by hand with a whisk.
- Once the brownie is completely cooled you can apply the frosting.
- Decorate the cake with some goji berries or crushed nuts if desired.
Both rawCo coconut flour and rawCo coconut oil are available individually via our online shop or as a gluten-free baking bundle.