January is always the obvious time to readdress eating habits. It’s only natural following all the excesses of Christmas and New Year.
Generally speaking, the rawCo team eat pretty well, considering we have some great, versatile ingredients – no real excuses. However, there is always room for improvement. This year we have a lot of activity planned for our business, so it is paramount that we are feeling and functioning at our best.
We are not great fans of labelling ourselves as following a particular lifestyle such as paleo or primal – although we agree largely with those principles. Our focus is going to be on eating real, unprocessed, nutritious foods.
We have set some parameters:
- No processed foods – Currently we eat very little processed foods. We’ll be trying extra hard not to be tempted by those takeaways!
- No gluten – We will be avoiding gluten containing foods and replacing them with naturally gluten-free alternatives such as coconut flour in baking as a replacement to other grain flours.
- No dairy – Not going to lie, we will miss a morning cappuccino but our blended coconut oil coffee is a deliciously frothy alternative. We will be making our own nut milks and trying other dairy free alternatives such as coconut yoghurt.
- No refined sugar – An absolute given. We are also keen to avoid sugary laden “cheat or treat” meals because it seems such a shame when you have been doing so well. There are lots of refined sugar free recipes available so we intend to explore those and keep it as a natural as possible.
- No Legumes – This won’t be a problem, we haven’t eaten these in a while and the last time we did it made us feel really unwell the next day.
We intend to post regular updates on our blog about our journey as well as on our Instagram and Twitter so look out for those.
Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2016
See our online shop for rawCo coconut oil, coconut flour and coconut amino sauce